Experts say, dandruff has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the hair or hair washing habits. Dandruff is basically a flaking scalp naturally due to the turn of the outermost layer of skin cells. Cycle of scalp flaking is normal for small amounts. In some cases increasing the intensity of the cycle and accompanied by inflammation that accumulate piles of dead skin on the scalp. This has resulted in more visible dandruff.
However, experts do not know why anyone is having a faster cycle. They suspect, partly because of the fat-eating fungus called Pityrosporum ovale, which is often found in people who suffer from severe dandruff. The fungus can occur due to various reasons, among others, hormonal fluctuations, certain neurological disorders such as Parkinson's, stress, or immune disorders. The change of seasons also thought to affect the severity of the cycle of dandruff.
When flaky dandruff looks big, greasy, accompanied by redness around the nose, ears, or chest, meaning suffering from severe types of dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis namely, or even experienced psosirasi scalp. Seborrheic dermatitis may cause dandruff accompanied by itching. The disease is often inherited and usually appears in times of stress. To determine the severity of the condition suffered, need to consult with a dermatologist.
What causes dandruff?
The body, on a regular basis will shed dead skin cells after forming new skin cells. The problem is, skin cells that grow and die too quickly. Death of skin cells faster eventually led to the emergence of dandruff. The cause of the acceleration of growth, and also the death of skin cells is still unknown. One possibility is seborrheic dermatitis, a condition that causes the skin to become oily.
In addition, some conditions can make dandruff worse. The use of excessive hair care products, experiencing stress, and too often or seldom wash your hair can aggravate dandruff appears risky. It is estimated that one in two people have experienced the problem of dandruff. Dandruff often appear in adolescence or puberty. Men are also more prone to having dandruff than women.
Dandruff rarely result in a more serious condition on your health, but it can be very annoying. Here are some factors that could cause the appearance of dandruff on your hair.
- Dry skin: Dry skin is the most common cause of the appearance of dandruff. Usually you can see the symptoms and signs of dry skin on other parts besides the scalp, for example on the hands and feet.
- Irritation and dermatitis seborrheic or oily skin: This condition often causes the appearance of dandruff. When symptoms are present, usually a red oily skin with flaky white or yellowish scales. Seborrheic dermatitis can affect other body areas rich in oil glands, such as eyebrows, nose, sternum, and armpits.
- Rarely shampooing: If you do not wash your hair, oils and skin cells can accumulate your head and cause dandruff, although this is not absolutely the cause of dandruff.
- Eczema: It is a chronic inflammation that occurs in the skin. Eczema can make the scalp itchy and also raises flaky. This condition is more common in infants and children, but everyone could experience it.
- Psoriasis: This is a condition in which the dead skin cells dry and rough accumulate, causing scaly skin. Psoriasis occurs when the immune system triggers a lot of skin cells to grow in various parts of the body, including the scalp. People who suffer from psoriasis prone to dandruff.
- Malassezia fungus infection: Malassezia usually live on the scalp without causing illness. But if developing excessively, this fungus will cause irritation to the scalp. Irritation happened to cause the growth of skin cells faster. Excessive skin cells to die and stick to the hair and fall to clothing as dandruff.
In addition to some of the above causes, dandruff can also be caused by an allergy to hair care products or certain hair dyes. One of the materials that tend to cause dandruff is paraphenylenediamine. Other factors that can increase the amount of dandruff are:
- Stress can trigger dandruff.
- Food is also influential in the emergence of dandruff in your hair. If you are deficient in zinc, vitamin B or certain fats, you will be more prone to dandruff.
- The weather is very cold or very hot.
Dandruff can always be controlled, but treatment requires patience and perseverance. The simplest treatment is to use anti-dandruff shampoo that can be purchased freely. But because of the many anti-dandruff shampoo products, you may have to test the shampoo product which most suits you. Not all who claimed to be the best shampoo for dandruff suitable for everyone. If a reaction of itching, hot, burning, or other allergic reactions, stop using the product and contact your doctor immediately.
There are many anti-dandruff shampoo choice that you can buy. Here are some anti-dandruff shampoo which is distinguished by its content.
- Zinc pyrithione: This substance serves to kill the fungus that can cause dandruff.
- Salicylic acid: This substance helps to soften and remove dead skin that accumulates on the scalp. In case of dry skin after using salicylic acid, you can use a moisturizer or hair conditioner after using the shampoo.
- Shampoos made of tar: tar material can help slow the production of dead skin cells.
- Selenium sulfide: This substance works slows production of skin cells and help reduce fungal growth. This material is not suitable for hair that have undergone chemical treatments such as colored.
- Ketoconazole: This substance has a strong enough impact as antifungal drugs. This material is usually used if other materials are not delivering results.
Each anti-dandruff shampoo, have different usage intensity. Can be used every day or twice a week. Check the instructions on the product packaging your shampoo. There are several anti-dandruff shampoo is not recommended for pregnant women and lactating women. Be sure to massage your scalp when shampooed with this anti-dandruff shampoo. Leave the shampoo on your hair at least five minutes, so that the ingredients in the shampoo work.
Not all the shampoo is suitable for everyone. If your symptoms do not progress, try using another shampoo. If symptoms continue and prolonged, see your dermatologist. Some hair care products can also be influential in triggering dandruff. Reduce the use of care products and hair beauty products to lighten your dandruff problem. Maybe you wanna read how to get rid of dandruff naturally.